The ASC host a variety of workshops throughout the year, catering for all different levels and calligraphic tastes. Unless otherwise advertised, all workshops are held at: Primrose Park Art and Craft Centre Matora Lane (off Young Street) Cremorne Workshop times usually run from 10am to 4pm on Saturdays unless otherwise indicated. There may be some workshops, in the case of visiting interstate or international tutors that may run on both a Saturday and a Sunday. Most workshops try to accommodate from the beginner, to those with little experience as well as those with more experience.
What’s in a calligraphy kit?
This is a question we get asked often, particularly by beginners or new starters. If you are looking to build up your kit please feel free to download some suggestions we recommend that always seem to come in handy.
Reserve your place at a workshop
To book a place in any workshop, email the workshop coordinator to register your interest and check that there is a space available.
- Bookings are made on a first-come-first-served basis and places are only secured upon receipt of a cheque or bank deposit transfer within seven days of making the booking.
- Please assume you are booked into a workshop, unless you are notified that the class is full or has been cancelled or postponed.
- Payments made for any workshop are considered non-refundable, unless a replacement participant is found up to two days prior to a workshop.
- Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your booking form or your email address to receive notification and a materials list.
Materials list are sent to participants as soon as the workshop has been confirmed, usually 2-3 weeks prior to the class. Receipts will be given at the workshop.
Sat 3rd November 2018: Elaine Witton
17th Century Script – Elaine Witton
There were many varieties of scripts during this period and the influence of Pointed Gothic and Italic can be seen in both the lower case letters and the decorative capitals.
Come and enjoy learning this version which can be written with either a pointed or square-edged nib. We will be working with both.
A small project using the script will be included. This workshop is also suitable for beginners.
PLACE: Brush Farm House – 19 Lawson st, Eastwood (while renovations are underfoot at Primrose Park)
TIME: 10 am – 4 pm
COST: $70 members / $90 non members
Sat 13-19th Jan 2019: LEXIE ARLINGTON
Special Event: Calligraphy with Lexie Arlington
A special event 7 day Workshop held at USQ Toowoomba Qld taught by a highly respected member of the ASC
Find your oriental flavour in this combination workshop. You will use oriental materials and a bamboo script as well as western techniques to create impressive calligraphic art works. You will explore the possibilities of combining both Oriental and Western approaches to create expressive calligraphic art works.
The workshop will cover:
- The use of Western papers and inks in oriental calligraphy
- “Bamboo” script and the use of East Asian (Chinese/Japanese) calligraphic materials such as brushes, Sumi ink/inksticks
- Using traditional oriental paper and painterly backgrounds
- How to prepare the thin oriental paper for writing using a broad edge nib or brush.
All skill levels most welcome, Materials cost will average between $20-50. A materials list can be downloaded from the USQ page link below and will also be sent upon enrolment
PLACE: USQ Artworx Toowoomba campus, Qld
Date/Time: 13-19th Jan 2019 8.30 am – 4 pm
COST: Standard cost is $920, please check website linked below
For full details and bookings please visit the following website: https://artsworx.usq.edu.au/event/calligraphy-with-lexie-arlington/
THIS WORKSHOP IS NOT RUN THROUGH THE ASC SO PLEASE DO NOT SEND PAYMENT TO US. THE BOOKING OF THIS WORKSHOP MUST BE MADE VIA WEBLINK ABOVE AS LEXIE WILL BE RUNNING THIS TUITION THROUGH ARTSWORX. FOR ANY ENQUIRIES PLEASE CONTACT: email@example.com OR CALL: (07) 4631 1111